Hello Liberty Leaders,
I’m writing to give you some news since the 2018 election and important ways you can continue to advance liberty in New York this year.
History in 2018
Thank you to everyone who volunteered, donated and/or voted for Sharpe/Hollister in 2018! Because of you, the Libertarian Party has gained ballot access in NY for the first time in our 47-year history.
Make Sure Your Party Enrollment is Accurate with NY Board of Elections
Because of the ballot access, enrollment with NYS in the Libertarian Party matters more than ever for advancing liberty in New York State. Numbers matter. As a recognized party in New York State, accurate party enrollment matters when running for office, participating in the party leadership, signing or witnessing petitions, and voting in primaries.
New York State Board of Elections has moved voters enrolled in the Libertarian Party from “Other: Libertarian” to Libertarian. We’ve had many reports of inaccurate party coding from voters across the state. I ran for Governor and even my own enrollment incorrectly showed as “blank” (no party) when I stopped in to check. Take a minute to check your voter enrollment data and CALL or stop in to your local county Board of Elections to make sure they get your data to the NYS Board of Elections correctly. Do not re-enroll online or you may not show up properly until after the 2019 General Election in November. What do you see when you check your party enrollment here?
Call your local county Board of Elections to correct any errors:
- Libertarian (you may also see abbreviation LBT) – this is what you will see when you are properly coded as enrolled in the Libertarian Party
- Blank (BLK) or No Party (NOP) – you are not enrolled in any political party in NYS, also commonly referred to as “independent”; many Libertarians have reported this incorrect coding
- Conservative (CON)
- Democrat (DEM)
- Green (GRE)
- Independence Party (IND) – this is a political party; some people may confuse this with enrolling independent of any party; some Libertarians have reported this incorrect coding
- LBN – If you see this, it is incorrect coding for Libertarian – call to change it to LBT / Libertarian
- Liberal (LIB) – some Libertarians have reported this incorrect coding
- Other (OTH) or Other: Libertarian – this means the BoE has you listed with a party that doesn’t have ballot access in NYS; many Libertarians have reported this incorrect coding
- Reform (REF) – Does not have ballot access; may show as “Other”
- Republican (Republican)
- Right to Life (RTL) – Does not have ballot access; may show as “Other”
- Serve America Movement (SAM)
- Women’s Equality Party (WEP) – Does not have ballot access; may show as “Other”
- Working Families (WOR)
- Anything else – if you see anything other than Libertarian or LBT, this is incorrect coding; call your local county Board of Elections to correct your enrollment
Enroll 100,000 Libertarians by 12/31/2019
We have an ambitious goal this year. We want to have 100,000 NY voters enrolled in the Libertarian Party by the end of 2019! We need the help of every liberty supporter across NY to reach that goal. Reply to this email if you want to help your county reach its enrollment goals this year.
Can you help today by enrolling 5 friends or family members in the Libertarian party by the end of March? As of the time of this email, the NYS DMV still hasn’t updated the online enrollment form to include the Libertarian Party, so print out copies of this PDF and enroll your friends and family today. Be sure to fill out all sections carefully. Print the New York State Voter Registration and Party Enrollment Form.
Make Sure Your Friends and Family Stay Connected
I am still traveling New York State talking to voters, meeting with the media and doing podcast interviews about the issues that matter to New Yorkers. Stay connected with me and with the Libertarian Party of New York and your local Libertarian Party on social media for news on events in your area, meetings in your area, candidates running for office, open positions in party leadership, volunteer opportunities in your community, status on our 100,000 enrollment goal and much more. Look for your county or region Facebook page and also follow these sites:
Larry Sharpe, Libertarian (My events are all in the Events tab here)
LPNY: https://lpny.org/ Get Involved / Volunteer
Larry Sharpe: https://www.larrysharpe.com/updates/
Thank you for continuing the momentum in 2019!